How to Make Harry Potter Wands – DIY Projects
Love it or hate it, the undeniable fact is that the Harry Potter franchise has created a massive impact on our pop culture. It took the world by storm, especially children, teens, and young adults. Because of its mass popularity, it became a trend to dress up as a witch or wizard in Halloweens.
Every year you will see many people dress up as wizards complete with a magic wand in hand. And you have to admit; a well-designed wand looks beautiful and you will see exactly how to make Harry Potter wands yourself in this article.
Besides on Halloween, some people even have Potter themed parties that require you to dress up as a character from the series. Finding the costumes for the dress-up is easy enough. But you might have a hard time finding a nice wand to go along with it.
If you are planning to buy one, you might have to prepare yourself for spending a lot of money as they can cost quite a lot. But what if you could make one for yourself at home?
Yes, despite how it might seem, making a harry potter wand is quite easy. And since you have us to guide you along the way, you should be able to handle it without too much effort.
How to Make Harry Potter Wands For Beginners
You would be happy to know that making a harry potter wand is not all that difficult. Even children under the supervision of an adult can handle this project relatively easily. There are, in fact, many different ways to do this. But not all of them are equally tough.
In this article, we will discuss three easy methods on how to make a harry potter wand. So, without further ado, let us dive right into it.
Using a Wooden Stick
One of the easiest ways to make a harry potter want is to use a wooden stick. You can easily find it from any tree around the yard and get started on your project. Since the process is not very demanding, you will be on your way to becoming a full-on wizard in no time.
Here are the things you will need to make a harry potter wand using a wooden stick:
If you have gathered all the supplies, let us go through the entire process step by step.
Using A Wooden Paintbrush
Another way to go about making a harry potter wand is to use an old wooden paintbrush. You can even use a chopstick for this purpose. If you are using a paintbrush, make sure the size is not too big for your hand. Ideally, it should be around the same thickness as a chopstick.
The steps are pretty simple and easy to follow. As long as you take things slowly and go along with our guide, you should be done with the project without any hassle.
Here are a few things you need to get started on this project.
With everything at hand, follow the instructions below to make your wand.
Using Printer Paper
The last method we will take a look involves a sheet of a printer or A4 sized paper. It is a simple process, and you could be done with everything in under half an hour.
For the first few times, it might take some trial and error on your part. But when you get the hang of it, it might be the easiest way to make a harry potter wand.
First, make sure you have all the supplies you need by going through the checklist below.
If you have everything you need, let us jump into the actual process of making a harry potter wand using printer paper.
- Take your double-sided tape and stick it diagonally across the surface of the paper. Starting at one corner of the paper, roll it tightly to the opposite corner. Roll over the double-sided tape so that the paper sticks to it. Try to keep one end tapered by rolling a little less on that side.
- When you get to the last third of the paper, add some paper glue to the roll and paper. Continue rolling over the glued part so that the paper sticks tightly. Hold it in place until the glue dries completely.
- After the glue dries, the wand should feel stiff. However, if you want even more sturdiness, you could roll an even thinner piece of paper, and put it on the inside of the first roll. It would give you an even stronger base.
- Trim off both the ends of the wand to round it off. Try to keep the cut straight and even on both ends. Use a pencil marker to mark the spots before making the cut if you want.
- Plug the ends of the wand after trimming using the hot glue gun. You can even use small patches of rolled-up tissues to fill the ends. However, just dribbling the ends with glue gun carefully should suffice. Make sure you let the glue dry one end, before moving on to the other.
- You can now create the surface detail of the wand using the glue gun carefully. By now, the wand should already feel stiff, so you do not have to worry about softening the paper. Go gentle on the trigger because you do not want to pour too much glue and mess up your design.
- Once you have your desired design, and the glue dries, you can start painting it. Use a dark shade of acrylic paint and paint over the sections of the wand using the paintbrush. Add a few layers of paint and wait for each layer to set properly before moving on to the next one.
- You can highlight the detailed parts of the wand using an even darker shade of the same color. It gives the wand a more authentic look
- If you are happy with your design, seal it up using the spray sealer to protect the paint.
There you have it, three easy to follow methods for making your very own harry potter wand.
Tips When Making a Harry Potter Wand
Now that you know how to make harry potter wands, a few extra tips will help elevate the experience further. These tips should help you get a decent guideline on how you should proceed with the project. So, without further ado, here are a few tips when making a harry potter wand.
When using small beads in the handles, make sure to fully dip it in glue before it dries. It will ensure that it stays on tightly without wobbling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make a wand with a regular stick?
Yes, you can. You can make a wand using any stick you can find as long as you can trim it down to proper size.
What should be the total length and thickness of the wand?
If you want your wand to be close to the original, the length should be around 9-14 inches, and the thickness should be around ¼ to ¾ inches.
Can I use normal glue instead of hot glue?
Yes, you can. However, normal glue would take longer to dry. You can also use a superglue.
Can I use watercolor instead of acrylic paint?
You can use watercolor instead of acrylic paint. But they will not be able to highlight the designs of the wand as an acrylic paint can.
Making a harry potter wand is a fun project that takes little time and effort on your part. And when you are finally done with it, it makes for a very rewarding experience.
We hope you found our guide on how to make harry potter wands informative and helpful. Now you can dress up as your favorite harry potter character in preparation for the coming Halloween parties.